Jeff Fuqua | Minister of Education
We will have Face to Face Sunday School beginning November 1st!
After town meetings, Divisional Directors Meetings, Ministry Leadership Team discussions, the Educational Ministry has concluded that November 1st will be a great day to resume “on campus” Sunday School meetings.
Our groups have really done a fabulous job of keeping everyone connected and informed. Now is the time for you to notify your classes of what is ahead.
First, if health permits, you are strongly encouraged to come to our Sunday School Leadership Worship Rally on the Sunday night, October 25th, a week before we resume classes. You will be blessed with worship songs and hear from our staff leaders. Dr. Lyles will share his words of comfort and encouragement I promise, you will be home before dark. Let’s launch our face to face Bible studies with an effort to meet God face to face.
Secondly, there will be a few changes that are necessary to be as safe as we can while meeting together. Here are a few of those policies:
- Hallways are usually very congested before and after Sunday School.
- We will not have any “one way” hallways or stairwells. We will follow the successful plan that our area schools have implemented. “Stay to the Right and be Polite.”
- Please make every effort to keep the hallways uncongested.
- We will socially distance, so some temporary changes will be necessary. Masks are necessary for those who are teaching and leading.
- We won’t be able to have tables for classes to sit behind.
- All bathrooms will have signs to limit the number of people inside.
- Some adult departments are reassigned to larger areas.
- Departments will decide on the type of food they will offer, if any.
- Many of our departments break out into smaller classes after an assembly time. During the next several months we will go straight into our breakout classes and any announcements or prayer time can be handled in smaller groups.
- Children 6th Grade and under will need to be picked up and checked out by parents.
- Younger classes with parents of children will conclude by 10:20 and dismissed by 10:25 to diminish congestion.
- The children’s area will have a teacher remain until you pick up your child. Please be timely.
- The Preschool Area will also need you to pick up your children so that they can attend worship.
- All Preschool, Children, and Students classes will meet in their usual areas. Adults will continue to meet in their usual rooms except for the following that are too large to fit in their rooms.
- The Tribe and The Pack will move to Great Hall B, C, E, and F. (back of Great Hall)
- Family A-Z will meet in the Martin Room.
- The Seekers will meet in 107, (Pathfinders Room.)
- Men of the Word will move to Room 143 in the Thompson Suite.
- Kaleidoscope will move to the Parlor.
- The Single Way will meet in the Main Connection
- Oasis of Faith will meet in the FLC (Back of Gym Floor)
- Pathfinders will meet in the FLC (Front of Gym Floor)
Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. each Sunday morning provides interactive small group Bible study for persons of all ages. Every week is a complete unit of study, therefore anyone can visit and join our Sunday School ministry on any Sunday. This is the basic ministry of the church that all members are encouraged to participate in on a weekly basis. Friendship, Christian growth, and ministry opportunities arise from these groups. To see a list of our Adult Bible study classes, click here.
On Wednesday evenings at 6:15 p.m. in the Great Hall, our Pastor leads a large group Bible study for all adults.
Discipleship Groups are organized for the purpose of intense Bible study, support, discussion, and accountability at various times throughout the week, month and year. Discipleship Groups focus on helping adults grow in a specific area of their Christian walk or in an aspect of daily living.
The Women's Ministry begins with a strong Women on Missions organization. Their monthly meeting focuses on missions at home and around the world. This group is very active in studying missions, as well as participating in local missions projects. They normally meet the first Thursday of each month at 10:00 a.m. in the Main Connection. Lunch is served for $3.
Women may also participate in various in-depth Bible study and Discipleship groups which normally meet on Monday evenings or Tuesday mornings.
Our church also hosts a ladies community Bible Study Fellowship which meets on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 p.m. This free, in-depth Bible study has orientation on the first Tuesday of the month at 6:55 p.m. in the Worship Center.
Women and Mission Projects: South Main volunteer their time and skills to help around our church, community, state
Men's Breakfast: All men of the church are welcome at our Monthly Men's Prayer Breakfast on the first Sunday of each month (unless it's a holiday weekend, then it's the second Sunday) at 7:00 a.m. in the Great Hall. Cost for the full breakfast is $2 per person. Breakfast includes homemade pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravy, and of course, plenty of coffee.
Men's Work Teams: The men of South Main volunteer their time and skills to help around our church, community, state
Construction Mission Trips: Each year the men of our church are invited to participate as we share the love of Christ around the world. Recent mission trips have included Lima, Peru, and Bande Aceh, Indonesia. We also share our time and talents in Hurricane Recovery. Following Hurricane Katrina, the men of the church went to Abbeville, LA, to rebuild a church. After Hurricane Rita, we helped in the Port Neches area
Men's Bible or Book Study: On Monday evenings during the school year from 7:00-9:00 p.m., we have a men's group that meets for additional Bible study, encouragement, and fellowship
Men's Recreation: We provide many recreational opportunities through our family life ministry, including annual basketball and softball leagues and church golf tournaments. We also have a monthly men's game night where men of the church play “42.” This is on the first Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m.